Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Back Racing

It has been awhile. A while since I've been back racing and back blogging. I'll keep this brief. The past month has been a return to cross racing. I haven't raced much this year. Doesn't mean I have stopped riding. Just that most weekends are now filled of two hour rides with the trailer, a CX bike and 1000 feet of climbing. Good muscle tension workout. No real intervals or specified riding plans. Just plain riding.

All along I this year I was planning to do more racing in the fall, because as Jeff Yielding says, "There is only one race season. CX season." As a kick off I raced the Jeff City 6 hour race over Labor Day weekend. My teammate and I ended up fastest of the non Cat 1's in the duo category. Not too shabby all things considered. Would of liked to get a top 5 but there were some fast folks there. Just happy Matt and I didn't crash, have any major issues, and put in a solid training effort.

CX got started September 18th in Herman at the now annual night CX race. The fields were respectable and the fans were numerous. I wasn't sure how I would fair but ended up scoring at top ten in the sand bagging class of Cat 4. Time to upgrade.

From there I sat out a few local races. I did manage to make it to Carbondale last weekend for the CX race at a winery. The course was laid in the wine and apple orchards. Talk about bumpy. Was hard to work on corner speed when each lap meant another rut or clump of grass caused your bike to move around a lot during high speed off camber turns. In the end I had another top ten in a B race.

Two races, two decent results. See if I can continue to build on this over the Bubba series. Next up is an assault on Council Bluff for the 12 hour race.